Share | 

What Magic is

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: What Magic is   Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:15 pm

ok so, after our discussion Mark and I came up with the following as the definition of magic.

Magic is in and of its own, outside of all dimentions, and permiable withing the body mind and spirit.

NOW keep in mind that this definition is not finished. It is still under discussion, we just stopped for tonight. Right now we are discussing the differences between body mind and spirit. If any of you have thoughts on these differences then collect them for our nex discussions. Hopefully we will soon come to a complete definition.

Later,
Me
Back to top Go down
http://thekeylings.forumotions.net
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Reply   Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:46 pm

In reflection on or previous conception of magic and magic applied to a entity such as RP.

1.We have looked at magic such as what has been presented through Ancient Wizards, Horrid Witches, Fire breathing Dragons, and and enchanting faeries.

-Through these representations we can see that Magic is a change that occurs outside the realm of what is scientifically possible.

2. We have reviewed this definition if only indirectly and found that it is Obsolete in reference to an entity such as RP.

In todays educated world, and the in competitive field of RP, the events that take place before us are required to have a explainable and sensible reason for Why and How. To have things "Just happen" is unacceptable due mainly to the sake of fairness.

What does this mean?

This means that Magic, as applied to RP, must take a form that is both Supernatural and explainable. Magic must first be explainable; it must be tied to some kind of order and/or logic in order to provide fairness in competition and relevance in story. Secondly it must be open and contain essence of the supernatural; it must not be to complex as to leave room for flexibility and adaptability brought about by different minds, opinions and preferences, and it must contain a sense of mystery and wonder for the sake again of the story. To put it simply, magic can neither be loose nor rigid in form.

Lets take a closer look at what I am talking about.

First consider "Rigid Complexity." In the past we have worked with many models for magic and one of them was the idea that all things in the RP are connected through explainable science, a perfect example of rigidity and complexity. It is not at first realized just how much science can explain and when dealing with magic, which we previously defined as all inclusive, one soon reaches a point of recognizable infinity. It is simply not practical to define all of RP through science, first because it is a relatively lifelong task and second, because it hampers RP creative and innovative nature. RP is serious business, but not in the same way as rocketing four human beings around the sun to land on Mars would be. RP is primarily for writers, story lovers and imaginations, not scientists.

Second consider the terms "Loose and Unrelated." This homes in closely to what we would consider Moding. RP, when loosely defined is susceptible to much abuse. Having to central system enables people to get carried away in their imaginings. This will only lead to unfairness and dullness. RP should have some sort of form, otherwise it would not be enjoyable or even perceptible, and it must be susceptible to judgement. RP is about making a fantasy but it must have some boundaries. Think of the great epic of Beowulf and Grendel. What would it be like if Grendel shot lightning from his eyes and Beowulf wielded 10 katanas all the size of skyscrapers. I will add this also being my personal opinion, that I think there is a reason why when the translator of that great tale added that Grendel was the descendant of Cain, it only made it more interesting. Relation, moderation, and structure all work to make the RP fair and interesting.

So to sum this all up, it is my opinion that the form of Magic, when applied to RP, be characterized by the following:

-A strong but broad logic with sensible and simple connections to all its branches.

Alas, how to achieve that? On a positive note I think it will be easier than I firt thought it to be.
Back to top Go down
Wyatt
Creator
Creator

PostSubject: Re: What Magic is   Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:01 am

I second this statement.

Anothing thing: it seems to me a very frequent occurence that a Moding player can come up with explanations for their magic out of thin air, so it is neccessary for there to be a universal rule for magic and its limits that everyone knows and everyone can come back to. So the key thing is a universal rule and universal definitions.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Reply   Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:49 pm

Indeed, a universal rule with universal definitions.

But let me continue to hash out the idea of magic.

Magic is, as we have previously defined it, Change. But this is not a completely descriptive definition and our collectively agreed upon understanding of magic becomes muffled because of this shortcoming. Changes comes about by some means through some method. For example, our voice allows us to say this spell which creates this change, or applying our energy in that spot creates that change. But here we hit a bump and our definition of magic falls apart. In one case we are talking about spells and symbols, and in another we are talking about energies and essences. These are different means and methods and too often we begin to mix them up and the idea of magic becomes vague.

Now from story to story this is not a problem, one can have its brand of magic, and the other have its brand, but remember we are talking about RP; not only a story but a game. Also remember that in the past it was often said that our goal was to create the ultimate story or game, but we must realize that this cannot mean we will bring all genres of magic together. To do so would shatter the idea of a universal rule. Therefor a universal means and method must be chosen.

So what shall be our means and method. Actually this is only what we have been working on for the last few years, but now lets put it into greater focus. Our means is energy, chakra, whatever you want to call it. A soul-bound resource that powers all our applications of living. It is a spiritual energy that powers the physical existence. but beyond this we run into a snag. What is the method? Well it has been many things. Spells, symbols, application of energy, but when we use all these things magic becomes hard to limit.

what are your opinions?
Back to top Go down
Ren.Callidus
Creator
Creator

PostSubject: Re: What Magic is   Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:33 pm

I believe we should have one set method that people know about when technically all can apply. People in game wont try to find another method different from what they were taught at the start of the game so in a sense we can combine almost every idea of magic, even if it seems contradictory, for example, magic coming from souls as opposed to magic generated from the caster. While not contradictory they are both very strong ideas of magic. Capturing souls and binding them to objects to achieve a goal ect.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Magic is   

Back to top Go down

What Magic is
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1